Life and stuff: Welcome to the new decade
We are only four days into 2011 and I have already; a) visited someone who is gravely ill in hospital, b) spoken to a very dear friend whose mother passed away and, c) had my grandmother tell me in all seriousness that she’s ‘on the way out’.
The reason I am sharing this information is not to depress you. It’s to give you a good, hard kick up the butt; the same kick that I am giving myself.
What do you want to do this year?
Most people will say something involving career, relationships, money and health.
Now answer this: What would you do this year if you knew you were going to drop dead on December 31st?
Are your answers the same? Probably not. I am guessing that the second set of answers involve more risk, more hedonism, more heart.
My question is: Why not do the things on the second list?
Here’s my sensible list:
1. Save money for a house deposit
2. No fights with anyone, for any reason
3. Stop drinking as much
4. Go hang-gliding
5. Eat at Tetsuya’s
6. Learn burlesque dance
Here’s my ‘I’m going to die on December 31st’ list:
1. Have a baby
2. Walk around Paris
3. Get a short story published in The Paris Review
4. Wear a couture gown to a ball
5. Go to Japan and hang out in the hot springs with snow monkeys
6. Plant the garden of my dreams
7. Meet Sir David Attenborough
8. Get a tattoo sleeve
9. Invent something that will help save the world!
Tell me, wild adventurers, what are you going to do this year?